As David said recently, I must have upset the gods hugely. I was told this afternoon that the three tiny spots on my lungs have tested positive for cancer. It is the first time that anything has appeared outside the oesophagus.
The spots were so tiny that they weren’t even detected by the PET CT 7 weeks ago. And they were cut out of me during the first operation, so that’s a glimmer of hope – very tiny, very young and now, in any case, gone. They have, however, meant that the strategy has been changed and now looks like this:
1. I will be spending about another week here to get the feeding through the tube stabilised and working properly. During this time, the nourishment will also be adapted to have a positive effect on the liver which is damaged, as we know, but not too seriously.
2. I will then be spending a minimum of two weeks and a maximum of three weeks in rehabilitation. I don’t yet know where that will be – presumably wherever they can find a vacant room for me. Linda will be coming over on the 23rd, which will be right in the middle of that rehab phase.
3. After rehab, there will be two cycles of chemotherapy, each of them lasting three weeks, probably with a brief pause in the middle if they are going well. I should be based at home for that time.
4. After chemotherapy there will be another PET CT to see whether there are any other problem areas in the meantime. That is most unlikely because chemotherapy works on the entire body, not just on any single parts of it.
5. Assuming that the PET CT is okay, the second and final operation will then take place. That is likely to be immediately before or immediately after the Christmas holiday, most probably after it. I will then need a month or more to adapt to the new situation and start getting back to normal.
The news has hit me like a hammer and I’m feeling very down about it. It could, of course, be very much worse, but after all I’ve been through for such a hellishly long time, I was hoping that I wouldn’t have to go through even more months like this.
Oh dear another setback.I know it seems endless when you are looking forward but it will pass ,honestly.Every hour must seem like a day.The chemo should do the trick but in the meantime.there is always sudoku.It is awful when you have always been so active to give in but it is your time to rest and go with it.Thank goodness for laptops!!
ReplyDeleteStay strong Tony.
Rose xxx
I don't know Tony, after quipping about it I used my cell phone to send a stern warning to the gods to tell them to lay off, but it seems, as I always practice safe text, the message didn't get through.
ReplyDeleteWe are all still in your corner mate and so glad you only took a five count on a technicality: The fight's still in bag (whichever one is still attached to you) and you'll come out on top eventually because you are a class above.
Stick with it no matter what life throws at you; even if it's a whole crate load of lemons, make lemonade!
David
David