Monday, 6 June 2011

Some good news

I went to the hospital this morning to have a chat with the senior doctor from Ear-Nose-Throat who was in charge of my case while I was stuck there. He was much more positive than I'd expected. For one thing, he replaced the dreaded cannula in my throat with a so-called "Larry tube" which is much shorter and causes much less damage to the mucus membrane. It's also slightly more aesthetic.

He then examined my throat with a camera on the end of a tube and agreed with me that the leak was now closed and the substitute oesophagus was indeed blocked. He said he would organise an endoscopy either on this coming Thursday morning or at the beginning of next week to open it up again. That should enable me to swallow at long last.

I came home feeling that things were definitely looking up.

Yesterday (Sunday) was fun. One of my sons, Peter, obtained his private pilot's licence back in January. I hadn't been well enough to go flying with him until yesterday. Then we went on an hour and a half's flight in a four-seater Piper aircraft across German-speaking Switzerland to the Bernese Alps and back. The views from 8000 to 9000 feet above sea level are even more spectacular than what you see from ground level. Between us, Pete's wife and I took a total of 93 photos. It was a brilliant afternoon out.

1 comment:

  1. That sounds like a great trip Tony with family flying over the alps. I am sure that was a brilliant day out.

    ReplyDelete