Monday, 7 February 2011

Perhaps there really IS a God

I had the best news this afternoon that I've had since last September. Professor Knut turned up (he's the head of the oncology department). They've looked at all the options and have come to the conclusion that

a) they don't need me to be transferred to their department and stay for a while;

b) it might be possible to avoid chemotherapy altogether.

Point b) really pulled me up in my tracks. I obviously asked why. Knut (pronounced K'noot) said there's a cancer stopper which uses antibodies based on protein. Don't ask me to explain that because I don't understand it myself, but I was assured that it works very well without any side effects except that I can expect to get a bit of acne from it. If I do, it's actually a good sign because it shows that the antibody is working efficiently. If, for whatever reasons, it fails to reduce the cancer and block it from growing any further, they can still go for chemotherapy either together with or as a substitute for the antibody treatment.

Knut said "As soon as they've finished with you here, go home and have some fun in your own environment. Dr. Huber will let us know when you're about to be released and then we'll set up an appointment for you to drop by to begin the treatment. It can all be done on an out-patient's basis and you can tell us when the best times are for you to come by so that you're inconvenienced as little as possible."

CHRIST......... I almost kissed the fella...!!!!!

So now I just have to wait for the ear-nose-throat people to finish with me here and then I'll be off. It was such wonderful news that I became a bit emotional once Knut and his assistant had gone and I was alone again in my room. At long last, after so many disappointments and broken promises, things are finally looking up and if this antibody treatment really works the way it should, it could keep me alive for longer than has been indicated until now.

I'm waiting now for the Servox gadget to be supplied so that I can start speaking. Pete won't be too happy when he visits me this evening because another thing that has been organised is that he will have to go to the Lung League with his car and pick up a suction machine, an inhaler and a machine to dampen the air. Then he'll have to bring them all here to the hospital so that I can be told how to operate them. And then they'll have to go home with me when I'm released. I'm sure he'll do that for me. He has been an absolute star all along.

Pete will be bringing another three boxes of chocolates with him this evening. The nurses all appreciated the last offering. In fairness, despite all the problems and broken promises from the doctors, the nurses have been very good. There is one I can't get on with. I call her Tinkerbell because she's got that extremely irritating tone of voice and talks to me like I'm either three years old or mentally handicapped. I hope she doesn't get to share any of the chokkies!!!

My skin problem has virtually cleared up. I can now look in a mirror again without getting a fright. The scalp also feels better now that I'm using a special shampoo on it.

On the whole, this afternoon has restored my belief that it will all turn out well in the end.

1 comment:

  1. Much better news all round then Tony...absolutely excellent.

    Lock Tinkerbell in a cupboard so that she doesn't get ANY treats :-)

    Much luv xxxx

    ReplyDelete