It has been a very quiet weekend. I've spent most of it playing over 40 games of online chess against opponents from all over the world. That made a nice change from TV or DVDs.
I'm afraid the dreaded cannula is back in again. The "Larry Tube" which went in as a place-holder didn't work out - it allowed too much fluid to flow back towards the lungs, and that's a no-no. So I'm stuck with the cannula again for the time being.
I also can't swallow. Despite the test, that leak is big enough to be a problem. I have to wait for it to close on its own (if it does). The surgeon assures me that it will, but it could take up to 4 weeks, and until then, I shouldn't risk swallowing anything because part of it will spill out into the body with unknown but potentially nasty consequences.
Despite all that, it looks as though I might be released this coming week. I have to wait for the oncologists to make up their minds. I expect to hear from them tomorrow (Monday). They originally said they wanted me to be transferred to their department for 5 days for chemotherapy. I would rather go home for a holiday and have the chemo as an out-patient, but that all has to be discussed and agreed.
So it's all somewhat up in the air and uncertain. I know I have to have the chemotherapy to keep the cancer in check but I'm so sick and tired of being in hospital after 5 solid months that I can't wait to go home, even if it's not an ideal situation. There's so much that still has to be done (starting on speech therapy with that electronic gadget which they still haven't given to me, having half a million stitches taken out of all the scars, organising the equipment I'll need at home, etc. etc. ad nauseum).
This coming week promises to be eventful, to say the least of it. I might well be home before next weekend, but as I've said, it's all very uncertain.
No comments:
Post a Comment