Monday, 24 January 2011

News I didn't want to hear

Hello, folks

My larynx was taken out on Friday. There was no real alternative if I was to have any quality of life for the time I've got left. I wouldn't have been able to eat, drink or speak for the rest of my life.

It was a four-hour operation and I was still living on another planet on Saturday. The surgeon apparently did his rounds, but I didn't register his presence. He had a day off on Sunday and his deputy merely told me that the operation had gone well.

This morning (Monday), the surgeon paid me a visit and gave me the news I didn't want to hear. The operation had gone as planned and everything in that respect was fine. But when they removed the larynx, they found a whole nest of cancer cells behind it, where the oesophagus had previously been. They have already spread and can't be removed surgically.

The facts can't be changed, so now what do they mean and what is to be done?

More than ever, it is crucial that I get some quality of life now. The priority is to enable me to swallow. That should be possible once the operation wounds have healed, which is likely to take about another 10 days to 2 weeks. I will be given a gadget that will enable me to speak, although with a dreadful voice like a robot. Better than nothing. Being trained to use it properly will be on an out-patient's basis.

The plan then is that I will be back home (at long last – after almost 5 months!) and will be taken over by the oncologists for chemotherapy, again on an out-patient's basis. They will go for a type of chemical that doesn't have any significant side effects. Its job won't be to cure the cancer (that isn't possible) but to try to keep it stable for as long as possible. They don't offer forecasts these days. My life expectancy could be anything from a couple of months to a couple of years. There is no way of knowing.

It's ironic that after years of searching for happiness and finally finding it with Linda, I'm to be denied a long and happy retirement with her. We'll just have to make as much as we can of the time that's left.

That's the situation, folks. Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings, but that's my destiny and I have no choice but to accept it.

7 comments:

  1. Tony,

    I am so so very sorry. After everything you've been through recently you definitely deserved some good news - not this crap news.

    I don't really know what else to say except that I feel really sad now.

    Carole xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tony,

    Dont think we have spoke before but i have read your blogs, i think you are one amazing man and bet your family and friends are so proud of you. My heart is with you right now and I hope you continue to fight with the courage you have been. Sending you love and positive thoughts. Take care Tony, With Love Kim xxxx.(ilovemydad) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you are very brave. Lots of hugs ((()))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Tony,

    You deserve so much better than this, I have followed your posts throughout your treatment and have always been in awe of your courage and perseverance. I hope that from now on you have the very best possible outcome from your treatment,I hope that you and Linda do have some of that happiniess you have so looked forward to.

    Love and hope, Maggie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey TonyB,

    Just read your latest and whilst I feel sorry buddy I believe you have absolutely the right attitude. I had such a short time of 'reprieve' after my bowel surgery and the recovery which took about 9 months. Just as I started to feel on top of the world the CT scan showed a growth in my liver, other activity in my pelvis and some in my chest...I had some tears and pretty much have the same attitude. Even though with me my wife Fran is the love of my life and we have been together for 20 years I too looked forward to a happy retirement in about 20 years time...that is not to be and we are just now enjoying being together. No use dwelling on what is not to be as that would tarnish the time you have left...I think it sounds like you have come to that decision already!

    One thought I have had is a bit of a cliche in that we all could get hit by a bus tomorrow so why does it take something like having cancer or given a bad prognosis to make us realise that any and all time is precious.

    Live Well, Love Much, Laugh Often...

    Much Love and kindest regards TonyB from TonyS (tonysong) x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Tony,I am so very sorry.Cant say anything that will help right now but chemo has been keeping my incureable cancer at bay for 2 years now and I hope and pray that it will do the same for you.
    Love to you and Linda.
    Rose xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whoever is writing this script for you Tony sure has a twisted sense of justice and is testing your resolve to its outer limits my brave friend. Fortunately, if such a word is appropriate in such circumstances, someone else has supplied you with the heart of a lion and enough fortitude to equip the army. As we both rise over the hurdles life keeps strewn before us its such a privilege to know you and share then trials an tribulations of a common pathway and similar objectives.

    Strength in adversity and victories over the oppressors.

    David

    ReplyDelete